Find Top Representation in our Criminal Law Team
We have a committed team of Criminal lawyers across Hampshire and West Sussex who are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our Criminal Law specialists have an excellent reputation for representing clients across all criminal matters. Whether in the Crown Court, Magistrates’ Court or Police Station, your case will be handled by a team with an outstanding professional reputation.
Our services include the defence of:
- Murder and Manslaughter
- Corporate Manslaughter
- White collar crime
- Sexual allegations
- Drugs offences
- Driving matters
- Domestic offences
- Benefit fraud
Criminal Litigation Solicitors
We understand the worry and anxiety faced by those who have been arrested or are being prosecuted. Your job, career and possibly your freedom are at stake, so you need help from experienced advisors. Wannops has an unrivalled reputation for providing high-quality representation. If you use our firm, you can be confident that you have the best team on your side.
Arrest & Police Station Advice
We offer a 24-hour service to those who have been arrested and can arrange voluntary attendance for interviews to avoid unnecessary arrest and detention. If you have been arrested, asked to attend a police station, or if a regulatory body is investigating you, we can help. We will advise throughout the investigation to ensure your rights are being protected.
Large Scale And Complex Fraud
Our Criminal lawyers regularly represent people accused of fraud and financial misconduct, which usually calls for a detailed and methodical approach. We work with specialists in the field to gain a clear picture of the evidence, which enables us to respond in the most effective way possible.
A member of our team will be allocated to your case, which includes:
- Attendance at the police station
- Take your instructions, consider the evidence and provide advice
- Attendance and representation at the Magistrates Court
- Preparation and representation in more complex cases, including not guilty pleas, trials, special reasons arguments, exceptional hardship applications, applications to restore a driving licence early and crown court trials
Legal aid may be available depending on your financial position, the nature of the case and whether it is to be dealt with in the Magistrates’ or Crown Court.
Our solicitors’ charging rate depends on their experience level.
Fixed fees can be offered in some cases depending on the case’s complexity.
Drink driving offence, guilty plea – fixed fee £600 (including VAT charged at 20%)
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- considering evidence
- taking your instructions
- providing advice on likely sentence
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing at the Magistrates Court
The fee does not include:
- instruction of any expert witnesses
- taking statements from any witnesses
- advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons hearing
- advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice.
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost, of £180 (including VAT charged at 20%).
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day.
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court, in relation to your matter, for 2 hours.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
- Drug driving
- Driving without due care and attention
- Failing to provide driver details
- No insurance/tax
This type of case will cost £500 plus VAT.
The fee does not include the instruction and costs of any expert witness, taking statements from any witnesses, advice and assistance with making special reasons or exceptional hardship argument, or advice or help with any appeal.
It is difficult to estimate how long your case will take at court as it will depend on the court listing for that day; however, we would anticipate being at court with you for up to half a day (morning or afternoon).
- Not guilty pleas
- Newton hearings
- Special reasons
- Exceptional hardship arguments
A simple case will cost £1,500 – £2,500 plus VAT.
This includes an initial meeting with you to obtain instructions and consider the evidence; advising you as to plea and sentence; arranging to take witness statements; identifying and instructing an expert witness; attending court and representing you during the hearing; discussing the outcome, and advising on an appeal.
This does not include experts and other third-party charges.
- A magistrates trial involving a large number of witnesses
- A trial expected to last longer than half a day
- Cases involving the instruction of expert witnesses such as accident investigators or medical experts
- Cases requiring site visits
- A complex or novel area of law
- Crown court cases
For higher complexity and Crown Court cases we will provide a cost estimate on an individual case basis.
This does not include experts and other third-party charges.
If you would like to contact one of our Criminal team directly, please see their details below or click on the Contact Us button.
Maria Haywood – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1998
James Brotherton – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1991
Chris Chatterton – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1997
Adrian Butt – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1992
Richard Frank – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1996
Leroy Eghan – [email protected] – Police station representative over 5 years experience
Tim Sparkes – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 1994
Kate Watts – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 2006
Roni Pittman – [email protected] – Police station representative over 5 years experience
Clive Merrett – [email protected]
Hannah Goodridge – [email protected] – Solicitor qualified in 2021
What Our Clients Say
I would recommend these solicitors to anyone who needs someone with empathy, understanding and complete honesty, Richard Frank especially. A family member needed assistance with a court case, and Richard showed all the above. The front-line staff are fantastic, passing on every message—a fabulous group of people.